Providing medical students with an abundance of free e-learning stations to help study for Objective Structured Clinical Examinations (OSCEs). Each station is handwritten and vetted by medical professionals, and features exclusive photography.
General Examination Advice
Every university teaches skills in slightly different ways but hopefully ours will give you a basis in which to form your examinations around.
Top 10 tips for clinical examinations
- Wash your hands at the beginning, and end of every station. There are usually 2 marks for doing this (which can make a difference in a station that’s not gone well).
- Introduce yourself to the patient and clarify their identity.
- Be polite. Thank your patient (they are often real patients giving up their own free time for your education), thank your examiner too.
- Be gentle during an examination (remember the patient may have been examined 10 or 20 times before you) It doesn’t look good to your examiner if the patient appears in pain.
- Look smart. Although there are no points for this it gives the examiner a sense that you are taking the exam seriously.
- Tie any long hair up.
- Nothing below the elbow. This includes watches. If a station needs a timer this will usually be provided.
- If you’re unsure of what is being asked of you then ask your examiner for clarification. You won’t lose marks for this but will do if you go on to perform the incorrect skill.
- If you remember something that you should have done earlier then go back and do this. Again you will not lose marks for having the order wrong but will do if you completely forget an important part e.g. percussion in respiratory examination.
- If the examiner has left out equipment for you then use it. E.g. if a station has gloves and an apron laid out then put them on. They aren’t there to trick you.
Get to know what others are looking at by viewing the most popular items on the OSCE Skills site.
Top in e-Learning
Top in Book Library
- Crash Course: OSCEs in Medicine and Surgery [kindle]
- OSCEs for Medical Students: volume. 3 [paperback]
- OSCEs for Medical Students: volume. 2 [paperback]
- OSCEs for Medical Students: volume. 1 [paperback]
- Clinical Skills for OSCEs [paperback]
- OSCEs at a Glance [paperback]
- Core Clinical Skills for OSCEs in Surgery [paperback]
- Core Clinical Skills for OSCEs in Medicine [paperback]